Donating blood or platelets is easy!
Here is a step by step description of what happens when you come in to donate.
- Check-in with the UCLA Blood & Platelet Center staff.
- The staff will provide you with instructions for completing the required paperwork.
- Read the information provided, complete the Donor History Questionnaire and return it to the Blood & Platelet Center staff. You need to answer the questions on the form each time you donate as the form changes periodically.
- To ensure you are eligible to donate, a medical historian will review your Donor History Questionnaire with you and take your blood pressure, temperature and pulse. We will also prick your finger and perform a hemoglobin test for anemia.
- One of our collection staff will call your name, ask you a few questions and begin the donation process. The blood donation process will take approximately 10 minutes to 15 minutes. The platelet donation process varies from person to person.
- After donating, you will need to rest for at least 15 minutes and enjoy delicious snacks.
Donating blood will take approximately 1 hour from start to finish, while donating platelets will take approximately 2.5-3 hours.